Counter

Wednesday 13 February 2013

The Mask






It had been very long. It had protected me from doing things which otherwise could've ruined my life. All that, that wanted to get out of me had stuck to it. It helped me stay the very self inside without letting the outside world get to me. Yes ! I'm talking about the second face I put on in front of the world .. My mask !!


Now it was getting heavy. It was beginning to wear off. I didn't know how much longer I could hold onto it.

But I was not the only one wearing it. Everyone wore it and so successfully for so long that it had become a part of their self. Its a shield in fact, which one would get behind to protect that deep corner of one's heart which one would never dare to expose.

The mask was not the same. It took several colours. It gave me the liberty to choose who I wanted to be infront of the world, how I wanted it to look at me. It gave me a second me. I had grown into the mask. With every mistake and every fall, the mask grew bigger. By now, I had sculpted it to perfection.

The irony is that one cannot identify the mask of another so easily. Now I look at someone smiling at me and I cannot make out if its the mask or his genuine self that is smiling at me. Trust hardly makes sense now.

Ever had this constant nagging to throw off that mask and be yourself ??
But everytime you try to do that, you evaluate the consequences, the damage and back off. The stakes are just too big .. reputation, acquaintances, future .. phew !!!

The mask is a saviour indeed !
A saviour you'd never let go for reasons best known to your heart.

8 comments:

  1. Nice way to end once again..
    Cheers
    Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said!!! all r hypocrites in a way in this world.. no one shows their real face...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope i m one among the few who know the real Deepu behind the mask.. and one more good blog from u.. Hats off.. Keep writing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There shouldn't be any dichotomy between the mask and your real self, i believe if you really want to be happy and bliss your mask should be your real self, if it is not than change your real self and try to become like your mask or vice versa.

    Less the difference more the happier you are.

    Anyways good topic to write on... enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thought provoking ....truth of this world

    ReplyDelete
  6. after a long time i guess :) osm \m/

    ReplyDelete